En Ecuador, Summer 2011

Follow me by email any time by inputting your e-address in the box at the bottom right of the page.

Sunday, June 26, 2011

This Flight is Closed

"This flight is closed."
"What?!"
"This flight is closed. It closes an hour before departure. No puedo ayudarte, has perdido tu vuelo."


I had just asked for my boarding pass at the Miami gate, to which I arrived after walking an unnecessary terminal over and back. They're serious about their Spanish on LAN Ecuador, it comes before English in every conversation. But in either language, I wasn't leaving that counter without a boarding pass. 


Ignorant Americanism prevailed yet again, and this previously-unexperienced solo international traveler made her way onto what is possibly the most comfortable plane for in-flight snoozing ever.


Of course, being conked out in a dramamine daze the whole flight means that I had to fill out all of my customs papers behind the line to enter at UIO Quito migracion.


I found my "madre temporal" Eleana and her daughter Andrea in line with my name penned lightly on a sheet of white paper. The fresh, cool mountain air of Quito encompassed me lightly for the first time outside and the electrical, humid storms of North Carolina felt far away. We drove the Cuellar-Mideros's car - which resembles a champagne-colored mini cooper, but older and a make I've never seen before - down Avenue de la Republica, a thoroughfare "muy importante" that runs from North to South of Quito, to their (our!) apartment.


We have now entered el mundo espanol. As Eleana told me outside the airport Mariscal, tu espanol es bastante bien. It's good enough. Gracias a Dios that I begin a week of intensive one-on-one Spanish classes tomorrow. As we said all summer long in our immersion program last year, tengo seis anos en espanol. I'm six when it comes to Spanish. 
This summer, I aim to hit double digits.


Well, I have a movie to go to...we're off to the cine for the evening! I got on the plane today. So I guess it's all a downhill climb from here. ;)
Mi casa ecuatoriano!





4 comments:

  1. Glad you arrived safely. Tried to follow your progress from Miami on my flight app, but it didn't want to cooperate. So I just kept watching the clock until I could finally say, "She should be there now!". Your new home looks very nice and comfy. I am looking forward to following your adventure via this blog. Enjoyed your visit so much. Sending love and prayers for God's blessings and watchfulness over you. Love from your Godmama

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am told I need to take photos with mi familia aqui, so I'll try to get on that soon! I enjoyed my visit - OUR visit - so much too :) Thank you for the prayers!!! It's hard not to be able to text everybody when the plane lands and say, toda esta bien!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome, Miss. I am also glad you got there safely. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Nikki Nik!
    so glad to hear you got there OK honey!
    I wrote a big email to you and sent it "reply"
    guess it didnt get to you on this blog! Im not good at this..but with further investegation found my way to this site!your place looks adorable and comfy! and your "family" sounds so nice:) your story was so funny about getting on the plane! was relieved to hear that you got there,and on the way to cinema! so proud that they think your spanish is wonderful (but, of course!) Im sure by now you are getting on with your schedule there..and will have alot to share! so looking forward to more pics and updates! hope you are having a wonderful journey so far...thinkin of you! xoxo M

    ReplyDelete